The Club has cancellation and refund policies for holidays and all other events.
Effective 1 August 2016
Covers all events organised by Edinburgh Ski Club (“the Club”), excluding holidays.
- To treat all Club members fairly and consistently.
- To provide the Club with proper financial mechanisms to organise and budget for events.
- To protect the Club from financial loss.
- Booking a place on an event represents both a commitment to participate and liability for the whole cost of the place if paid at time of booking, or the amount of any deposit taken.
- Bookings and deposits are non-transferable.
- If you intend to cancel your attendance at an event you must inform the event organiser as soon as possible. This is to ensure fair administration of refunds and waiting lists for all Club members.
- Again, to ensure fair administration of refunds and waiting lists for all Club members, it is not permitted for any person who intends to cancel an event place to substitute another member in place of that person without prior approval of the event organiser.
- If you find you cannot participate in an event on which you have booked a place, refunds may be requested by application in writing or by email to the event organiser (or, if that is not possible, to a Committee member).
- Refund requests where the facts of the situation, in the opinion of the event organiser, fall clearly within (or outside) the criteria set out below for a refund, will be handled in the first instance by the event organiser and, if a refund is payable, the Club Treasurer shall arrange payment due.
- If a member is unhappy with the decision of the event organiser in relation to any refund request, they may request that the refund is considered by the Committee at the next committee meeting.
- Any complex cases along with any appeals arising from the preceding paragraph, will be considered by the Committee on a case-by-case basis. The decision will normally be made at the next Committee meeting following the event, but in some cases a decision by the Committee may be made by email. The chosen approach will be at the Committee’s sole discretion.
- All refunds are ultimately at the discretion of the Committee, and the Committee’s decision is final.
Criteria for refunds
- If the period before the event within which the event organiser is informed of the cancellation (the “Notice Period”), is more than 7 days, the amount paid by the Club member shall be refunded in full, subject to both:
- the event being sold out at the time of the cancellation, and
- another member taking up and paying for the cancelled place.
- If any loss or cost to the Club arises because of a cancellation, such costs will be deducted from any refund due and the Club member may receive no refund or a partial refund as a result.
- Where the Notice Period is 7 days or less, a cancellation charge of 25% of the cost of the place on the event, or £10, whichever is the greater (the “Late Cancellation Charge”) , will be payable by the cancelling member to the Club. This Late Cancellation Charge is to cover the organisational inconvenience caused by late cancellations. If, however, the event was sold out at the time of the cancellation, and another member takes up and pays for the cancelled place, the amount paid by the Club member shall be refunded in full, less:
- the Late Cancellation Charge, and
- any applicable charges described in paragraph 2 above.
- Where exceptional personal circumstances have resulted in a Club member being unable to attend an event on which they have booked, and a partial refund is due in accordance with the three paragraphs immediately above, the Committee will consider whether a full refund is appropriate on a case-by-case basis.