Find out to what to expect and what is expected of you when booking a Club holiday.
Booking a holiday
In order to book a holiday, you must meet the following conditions:
- You must be a fully paid up member of Edinburgh Ski Club, both at the time of booking and when the holiday takes place.
- You must be over the age of 16; anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- You can book (and/or draw) a maximum of two places on a holiday i.e. a place for yourself and one other member.
- Your holiday place is not confirmed until your deposit cheque or bank transfer and membership subscription has been received. Bank transfers received late will be returned and your place on the holiday will be lost.
- One holiday per person. If places are available once everyone has had the opportunity to book their first choice, you can then book an additional holiday. Such places are normally released two weeks after bookings have opened.
- Special requests and room-mate preferences will be taken into account where reasonable and practicable. However, on occasion room allocations may need to be changed to ensure the smooth running of the holiday as a whole.
- The tour operator's terms and conditions of booking apply.
- If any holidays are over-subscribed at the AGM, a draw for places will be arranged. Postal and email applications received before noon on the day of the AGM will also be included in the count and/or draw.
- If you are unsuccessful in a draw, you will be added to the waiting list for that holiday in order drawn.
- The waiting list for each holiday will operate on a first-come first-served basis.
- If a space becomes available then the place will be offered to the person of the same sex nearest the top of the list.
- You will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to confirm whether or not you want the place.
- Failure to respond within the 48-hour window will result in the place being offered to the next suitable person on the waiting list.
- If you think you may be out of contact for a time then let the holiday organiser know, and that will be taken into consideration.
- Payment by bank transfer or cheque is due as soon as is practical to secure your place.
- Waiting lists will not be published, but we can let you know what place you are on the list on request.
Costs and payment
- Your holiday place is not confirmed until your deposit cheque or bank transfer (or full payment for the January holiday) and membership subscription has been received.
- Payment must be made by cheque or bank transfer. We do not accept cash, debit or credit cards.
- Cheques should be signed and made payable to ‘Edinburgh Ski Club’ (not “ESC”) for the correct sum.
- The club will make every effort to cash cheques within the dates shown in the holiday summary table (but definitely not before the first date).
- Any holiday surcharges which may be applied by the operator at a later date are outside Edinburgh Ski Club’s control and will be passed on to members.
- Many operators make an additional charge (typically about £35) for certain special diets, such as gluten free. Edinburgh Ski Club will pass these charges onto the member requesting the special menu.
- Some resorts apply a tourist tax, typically of €1-3 per person per night, and you may be asked to pay this locally to the accommodation provider.
Ski carriage and hire
- The Club is allocated a limited number for ski carriage on each holiday.
- If you plan to take your own skis or snowboard, or Club hire skis, you must indicate this on your booking form at the time of booking.
- You may be required to share a ski bag with another member, whilst remaining within the weight limit. This may lead to limitations on type of ski/board carrier used.
- You will receive information on the availability of ski carriage and any possible restrictions shortly after booking.
Ski or snowboard hire
- If you are hiring ski equipment from the club, you are responsible for loss, theft or damage once it has left the clubrooms.
- You must ensure your home and travel insurance covers sports equipment away from home and that you lock or split skis with another skier when equipment is unattended.
Flights and travel
- All flights on Club holidays are from Edinburgh.
- There is no price reduction for not taking one or both flights.
- The Club does not arrange any travel to and from the UK airport.
- Transfers to the ski resort are included in the holiday price.
- To book travel from an alternative UK airport you must submit a request to the holiday organiser prior to booking.
- The full cost of the holiday must be paid at the time of booking.
- No refunds will be given, should you later cancel.
- Such flights are subject to availability and you will need to meet any additional costs.
- Flights from non-UK airports are not available.
How we will communicate with you
Holiday communication will be by email so please make sure your email address on the form is legible and keep the club up to date with email address changes.
Cancellations and refunds
Before final balance due
If you cancel before the final payment is due, we will return your deposit in full provided the holiday is sold out and someone can take your place.
No administration fee will be charged.
After final balance due
If you cancel or switch to a different holiday after the final balance is due, you will receive a partial refund only if the holiday is sold out and another member can take your place. The following amounts will be deducted from your refund:
Administration fee (Edinburgh Ski Club) £25
Tour operator administration fee £25-£75 (typically)
In the event that ESC or the tour operator cancels your holiday, refunds will be provided as soon as it is practical to do so. It may be necessary to wait for refund payments to be received by ESC from the tour operator, or from the ATOL holiday bond scheme, before refunds can be provided to members.
- You must arrange your own holiday insurance, and ensure that the cover it provides meets your needs (in particular in relation to any possible impacts of Covid-19).
- Ensure you have adequate insurance to participate in all relevant activities, for example skiing off-piste, with or without a guide.
- As a Snowsport Scotland affiliated club all members are covered for civil liability when partaking in club activities. The Snowsport Scotland civil liability insurance does not include death, personal accident cover or travel insurance.
Passports and entry requirements
Given the UK's exit from the European Union, please ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the date of return from the holiday you are booking.
It is also your responsibility to ensure that you meet any other entry or travel-related requirements set out by the UK and/or the country in which the holiday takes place, and any countries through which you transit en-route. This includes any normal visa requirements applied by these countries, and also any additional entry requirements applied in response to the Covid-19 outbreak, including, but not limited to, any requirements to obtain timely Covid-19 tests or "vaccine passports" (at your own expense). The UK and Scottish Governments' websites may be useful in checking this, at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice and https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/.
UK Global Health Insurance Card
In addition to travel insurance you should apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), unless you still have an EHIC card which has not yet expired. These cards are free of charge and let you get state healthcare in European Union and certain other countries at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.
Please note that the Edinburgh Ski Club organises events and activities on your behalf but members and non-members alike undertake any events and activities at their own risk. Edinburgh Ski Club accepts no responsibility for any injury, loss or damage whatsoever. In particular, members are responsible for complying with all local laws and requirements whilst on holiday, in particular in relation to, for example, physical distancing, Covid-19 testing, and mask-wearing in certain locations whilst travelling and on holiday.