What we need
Edinburgh Ski Club (“ESC”) is a sports club which is affiliated with Snowsport Scotland. ESC will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us. When you register as a member of ESC or renew your membership (including if you are registering or renewing on behalf of a child), we will ask you for a limited amount of personal information, which is set out on our online membership application form. Some of the data we request is optional, and this is clearly shown on the form. When you use other club services, such as holidays, events, coaching and ski hire, we will collect certain additional information from you to facilitate the delivery of those services.
Why we need your personal information
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your membership. We will use our members’ personal information to:
- provide you with core member services, including insurance, holidays and other trips, social events, discounts, ski coaching and ski hire.
- set up your online membership account
- send you membership communications by post or email in relation to essential membership services including, but not limited to, notifications of upcoming events and other club activity, general meeting notices, membership renewals, membership fees information, etc.
- make contact with your specified next of kin in the event of an emergency arising on an ESC event if in our opinion it is appropriate, possible and reasonable to make such contact.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to offer the above membership services and benefits.
When you book a place for yourself as a member, or for a non-member guest, and attend a coaching course, event, holiday or any other ESC activity, we need to collect your personal information so that we can honour your booking and to enable you to participate in the activity. If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to book your place.
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to
- promote and encourage participation in snowsports and related social activities by sending members communications and booking information for upcoming events. Our events may be filmed or photographed and your personal information may also be used in images captured from our events, which we may use for promotional purposes. Our membership form gives you the ability to opt out of such use.
- respond to and communicate with members regarding questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to the club. For example, we will use your personal information to investigate your complaint, to suspend membership, take disciplinary action, etc, in accordance with the ESC constitution.
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us. If we agree and comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a member.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for additional purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice with information on how we will use your information for these additional purposes.
Sharing your personal information
ESC facilitates holidays and other events for members, and if you book one of these events, we will need to share your personal information with travel agents, tour and hotel operators, and potentially with other travel providers such as airlines, in order to enable the event to proceed. The data we will share may include information such as your dietary or access requirements, and room sharing arrangements. Once we have shared this data with these parties, they will become a controller of the personal information that you provide to us in relation to that event when they receive it. Members who wish to inspect the privacy policies of the relevant travel providers will need to contact those providers direct. We may also share lists of those attending such events among attendees in order to facilitate the smooth running of the event. Members who do not wish their attendance to be made public should inform the relevant event organiser.
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include Disclosure Scotland and Police Scotland for the purposes of safeguarding children. We may also share personal information with our professional and legal advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
As an affiliated club of Snowsport Scotland we are required to ensure that all of our members are members of Snowsport Scotland as a condition of our affiliation. We may share your information with Snowsport Scotland in order that they can provide our members with certain insurance benefits, and they will become a controller of your personal information should they receive it. Snowsport Scotland’s Data Protection Policy explains how they would use your personal information and can be accessed on their website.
We may publish the results of our snowsport or other competitions on our website or social media pages. This may include include competitors’ names, age where relevant, and result.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic filing system and our servers (or those of our third party suppliers), and is accessed by our volunteers for the purposes set out above. Certain information relating to ski hire may in addition be stored in a paper filing system held securely in ESC's Clubrooms. In limited circumstances, our volunteers may store your personal information securely on their own devices We could be required to transfer your personal information outwith the UK and the EU for the purposes of arranging holidays outside of these areas. Where your personal information will be transferred outwith the UK and EU in this way, we will provide you with information regarding the safeguards that we have put in place with the recipient country to protect your personal information.
Certain personal information is stored securely by ESC on Google’s systems, some of which are based outside the UK and EU. However, Google has achieved certification under the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework. Privacy Shield is a program whereby participating US companies are deemed to have adequate data protection measures in place which meet the requirements of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation.
How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and possibly delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for 2 years. Photographs you have shared with ESC may be retained indefinitely.
You can exercise any of the following rights by contacting us using the information at www.edinburghskiclub.org.uk/contact or by logging on to your membership account. Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by ESC will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk